I never throw anything away that I think I may be able to use for some future, yet unimagined project. This kind of thinking leaves me with little bags of odds and ends of fabric, felt, ribbons, yarn, etc., that take up valuable real estate in my studio. I try very hard to be organized with my little bags of this and that, but sometimes they start to bug me, and I feel like I need to either use the scraps, or get rid of them. This past weekend, I decided to use some of them.
Previously, I’d posted some pictures of some little Siamese kitten dolls that I’d made to go along with the Kitty Twin Dolls. For some strange reason, I’d only made three kittens. I don’t like working in odd numbers, and usually make even numbers of things when I work in multiples of anything. It’s not superstition on my part, I just like things to be even, or at least that’s why I think I work that way.
I decided to make an additional Siamese kitten as well as a few other small animal doll experiments, all of them using some of the scraps that I had left over from previous projects. Being that bunnies are a favourite of mine, they seemed like the next logical incarnation for this pattern (bears and dogs are next).
I used the same basic body construction for the bunnies. I made some little pom-poms for tails using a Clover Pom-Pom maker; I love their pom-pom makers! After I’d completed the test bunnies, I decided that the back legs don’t look right. I’m not in love with how they look. Their back legs need more of a haunch kind of thing, so I’ve changed the pattern around a little bit.
I’m still trying to figure out how to get the filament whiskers to stay put. Right now, they’re just threaded through the faces. I’ve tried a couple types of glue and they’ve not worked. I’m going to try some of the jewelers cement I have (it has a precision applicator) and see if it will keep the whiskers in place, without making blotches on the face.